Monday, June 2, 2014

Where's Bosnia?

When I tell people I went to Bosnia one of their first questions is: Where is Bosnia? I could be upset
because people don't know where this place that desperately needs prayer and support is located but truth is- I didn't know exactly where it was until about a week before I left.

In the 1990's when the Bosnian War was taking place, I was a child.  Until we started doing training for our trip, I didn't even know there had been a war there.  How sad.  

Thinking I would make this post a critique of others all I have is an apology.  

I'm sorry that I didn't know where Bosnia was on the globe. 

I'm sorry that I didn't know Bosnia was still reconstructing from war. 

I'm sorry that I didn't know over 100,000 people died.  

I'm sorry that I didn't know your houses still have bullet holes in them.


I'm sorry that during the war, humans marched other humans out of ViĊĦegrad and slit their throats. 

I'm sorry some killed, "in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost."

I'm sorry that I didn't learn about your history in school like you learn about mine.

I'm sorry that I didn't come sooner.


Despite my sorrow, I want to express how thankful I am.  How joyful.

I'm so thankful that God knows me and every Bosnian by name.

I'm so thankful that the holes in Jesus' Hands and Feet are what I see when I see the bullet holes in the walls of Bosnian homes.

I'm so thankful that even as I return home, God has not left these people.  God is still with my Bosnian friends and family.  He loves them just as He loves me.

I'm so thankful that God has never forgotten Bosnia.

When you ask God, 'Break my heart for what breaks Yours,' that's when your heart will be broken, that's when it will be set a fire, and THAT'S when it will be refined. 

How beautiful.




No comments:

Post a Comment